1.05.2007

fear

fear video

Various internet sites have become the breeding ground of opinion and different views on similar subjects and I frequently visit them to see war footage put up by soldiers. I came across many videos of prisoners of war being interrogated. The comments left by viewers were a no-holds-barred critique on how to treat the POWs from all sides. What was interesting was that all across the globe people were commenting on the reasoning for collecting POWs and why either side has the right to do so or to not do so. Watching the images I was struck with the rationale of a group of American POWs that were captured just last October. I have not been exposed to seeing this type of footage very often and usually I see bits of it about POWs from other countries but this was striking because I could place these people. Meaning, they were familiar being that they are Americans from Kansas and Texas. As they answered the questions of their interrogators in a learned systematic fashion they seemed to be speaking more to the camera with their eyes. No doubt they knew that these images would get back to the people that they know back at home. It was very emotional to view these and interesting that the commentators didn’t voice a similar reaction.

Fear creates a sense of laying down the cards. As the faces flick past at an increasing rate the still images begin to move and their voices are layered in a similar fashion it becomes apparent that the level of fear being generated. Then cards vanish just as the siren peaks and a sound byte begins from a familiar voice. This changes the meaning of the words spoken and points out the fear of anyone considered a prisoner of war.

AG

No comments: