1.06.2007

traffic

Watching the news, watching "must-see-tv" my already curdling paranoia grows. I have to ask myself these days: which came first the chicken or the egg? Current events covered on the news or CSI? Who is affecting who? I finding it increasing frightening that a woman can almost get shot for making a left turn in Chesterfield or another woman is killed by serial killer in Philly while is it caught on many city installed surveillance cameras to be later shown across the world on the evening news or that I can be threatened for walking on a sidewalk/crosswalk by a woman in an suv for being in her way. The way the police talked about road rage on TV tonight was like it was a socially acceptable form of violence and the best way not to get involved is to not engage with anyone, ever, while driving. So no more good morning waves that I use to think were silly from the man in the oncoming pickup truck on the old dirt roads of home. No more waves to the man on the corner to let him know it is okay to cross... because he might be packing heat. It is wrong to feel that something has slipped out of grasp for a lot of us? I don't even know really know what that something is but I think it's maybe the common courtesy of humans looking out for other humans... I hope that my brothers' children still can feel the threads of this when it is their time to stand up among the world.

AG

No comments: